The students and staff have done some amazing things! MU Extension pulled in medical students, Journalism, Public Health, and Nursing, to name a few, approximately 6 weeks ago, to build teams to address resources, information, and community support related to COVID-19.
- Lobbying team: Pushing for statewide state-at-home/shelter-in-place order from governor; advocating for better housing/quarantine policies via city council.
- Social media team: Pushing out accurate, factual messages on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Blogs, and YouTube.
- Mutual support of local medical/scientific community: Support fellow med students, but also nursing students, pharmacists, undergrads, PhD.
- Community support: Helping our communities when churches and schools and community/rec centers have all closed and we have enforced time at home. Addressing issues like IPV, child abuse, and child malnutrition when schools are closed.
- Positive articles: Developing some content on some positives that are coming out of the responses to the Coronavirus epidemic.
- Practice articles: Summarizing recommendations from the national societies to laypeople- in a health literate manner.
- Supporting our local DOH: Moving target as they figure out what they need.
- Call center: The health department is putting together a call center to answer constituent concerns about COVID-19. They need it staffed from 7 AM – 7 PM every day.
- MU Extension, COVID-19 Resources, Show Me Resilience Stories, and Remoting Working and Learning: https://extension2.missouri.edu/covid-19-resources-public/show-me-resilience-public.
- A PhD Student worked with her community to ensure Knox County residents were safe and getting the resources and information concerning CDC guidelines etc. She worked with her community to connect her fellow residents to resources. Connecting People- Connecting and Protecting Knox County: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/connecting-and-protecting-knox-county-4435.
- COVID-19 Resources: https://extension2.missouri.edu/.
- The following are resources that can help the students’ efforts online, both internally and externally, on the Extension COVID-19 websites: What You Should Know About Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Medication List & Other Helpful Medical Information– for individuals to complete for themselves and family members, which will be helpful to health providers.
- COVID-19 Emotional Health and Wellbeing – information on how to take care of your emotional health.
- COVID-19 and Your Workforce– how to protect staff in the workplace, including working remotely.