April 21, 2021
Community providers who treat Veterans are invited to take a variety of self-paced, accredited online courses, offered 24/7 through VHA TRAIN MISSION Act (MA) Curriculum, to help meet MISSION Act 131 and 133 competency standards. Sections 131 and 133 require VA to ensure that all community providers treating Veterans meet certain requirements regarding opioid prescribing practices and meet certain competency standards. These courses available on VHA TRAIN MA provide training and resources in the areas of military culture, suicide prevention and other Veteran-related topics, equipping community providers with general knowledge about mental and physical health diagnoses commonly found in the Veteran population. Click here for a flyer that can be used to locally promote these courses.
Click on any of following courses to learn more and register:
- Community Care Provider Opioid Safety Initiative – This course was designed to build a collaborative effort between the VA and non-VA care providers promoting evidence-based management of Veterans with chronic pain, improve patient outcomes, and decrease incidence of complications in regard to opioid prescribing. No accreditation offered.
- Community Care Provider: A Perspective for Veteran Care – This course offers an introduction for community providers about Veterans and diagnoses that are deemed more common in Veteran patients. Accreditation offered: AAPA, ACCME, ACCME-NP, APA, ANCC, ASWB, NYSED SW and JA IPCE
- MISSION Act 133: A Core Training on Military Sexual Trauma (MST) for Community Medical Professionals – This course is designed to provide community medical professionals with brief training on key information related to the care of Veterans who experienced MST. Accreditation offered: ACCME, ACCME-NP, ANCC and JA IPCE
- MISSION Act 133: Core Training for Military Sexual Trauma (MST) for Community Mental Health Providers – This course is designed to provide community mental health providers with training on key information related to the care of Veterans who experienced MST. Accreditation offered: APA, ASWB, NBCC and JA IPCE
- MISSION Act 133: Traumatic Brain Injury – This course is designed to provide community providers with general training and resources in the areas of military culture, traumatic brain injury, suicide prevention and other related topics. Accreditation offered: ACCME, ACCME-NP, ANCC, AOTA, APA, APTA, ASWB and JA IPCE
- MISSION Act Section 133: PTSD Course – This course gives community providers basic information on the diagnosis and treatment of PTSD. Accreditation offered: ACCME, ACCME-NP, APA, ANCC, ASWB, NBCC, NYSED SW and JA IPCE
Community providers must be registered in VHA TRAIN MA Curriculum with a National Provider Identifier (NPI number). Registration only takes a few minutes of your time and the benefits offered are immeasurable. A VHA TRAIN MA Curriculum account offers 24/7 access to hundreds of accredited courses on numerous subject matters in order to meet the learning needs of community providers caring for the Nation’s Veterans. In addition, registered users have access to over 5,000 accredited courses in VA’s main VHA TRAIN site. Click here to access a catalog of VHA TRAIN MA courses available and here for VHA TRAIN courses.
For help with course subjects or competencies, please contact the VHA TRAIN help desk at VHATRAIN@va.gov. For further information about the MISSION Act courses above, please contact email@example.com.