Date: July 14, 2020
Time: 11:00 AM Central
The first steps for a faith community in addressing mental illness are reflected in the first two principles of the Compassion in Action Guide:
- The Inherent Dignity Principle: We Affirm the Inherent Dignity of Every Person
- The Illness Principle: We Acknowledge Mental Illness as an Illness
This webinar will highlight leaders who embody these principles in their work with faith communities. They will describe how their efforts are respectively building a sense of belonging for individuals with mental illness in faith communities and helping faith communities take mental illness seriously.
- Jason Nieuwsma, PhD, Associate Director Mental Health and Chaplaincy, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Steve Sullivan, MDiv, ThM, Chaplain, Community Engagement for the Mental Health and Chaplaincy, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Sidney Hankerson, MD, MBA, Co-Director, Columbia University Wellness Center and Assistant Professor of Clinical Pschiatry at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons.