June 16, 2023
NRHA Accepting Application for the Rural Health Fellows Program
NRHA is accepting applications for our Rural Health Fellows program, a yearlong, intensive training that develops leaders who can articulate a clear and compelling vision for rural America.
Each year, NRHA selects 10 to 15 highly motivated individuals who have proven their dedication to improving the health of rural Americans through their educational or professional experience.
The goal of the Fellows program is to educate and develop a network of diverse rural leaders that will step forward to serve in key positions in the association, affiliated advocacy groups, and local and state legislative bodies with health equity as a main focus.
NRHA’s Rural Health Fellows meet in person three times throughout the year to undergo intensive leadership and advocacy training. In addition, fellows take part in monthly conference calls to supplement their training, receive updates on legislative and regulatory concerns that impact rural health, and participate in a mentorship program with current members of NRHA’s Board of Trustees. These monthly calls will help Fellows to develop their leadership skills as rural health advocates. Rural Health Fellows should be committed to advocating on behalf of rural health and should be dedicated to NRHA’s mission.
The submission period for 2024 Rural Health Fellows applications is now open through Sept. 14.
- Applicants to the Rural Health Fellows Program must be NRHA members for at least one year before applying to the program and must remain a member in good standing through the duration of the program.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong commitment to improving the health of all people residing in rural America through the provision of equitable health care services. This commitment must be demonstrated in the personal statement, as well as the curriculum vitae/resume of the applicant.
- Applicants must be willing and able to commit to monthly conference calls as part of the program and complete a project as a member of an Action Project Team.
- Applicants must have a sponsor to support travel/lodging expenses to attend three NRHA meetings: 1) NRHA’s Rural Health Policy Institute, 2) NRHA’s Annual Rural Health Conference, 3) the fellows graduation ceremony.
- Applicants must commit to attend all Rural Health Fellows training sessions.
- At least one year of membership in NRHA
- Curriculum Vitae/ Resume
- Personal statement
- Developing leadership skills and mentorship under current NRHA leaders
- Working with like-minded individuals to generate solutions to problems facing rural America
- Driving rural health policy solutions on behalf of NRHA
2024 Rural Health Fellows class training sessions:
1. Feb. 13-15, 2024 – Rural Health Policy Institute in Washington, D.C.
2. May 6-10, 2024 – Annual Rural Health Conference in New Orleans, La.
3. February 2025 – Rural Health Policy Institute in Washington, D.C.
Application Review Process
- Applications are due Thursday, September 14, 2023
- Applications are reviewed and ranked by members of NRHA staff. A meeting is held to discuss applicants.
- Applicants will receive an email on their acceptance or non-acceptance into the program.
- Applicants will have two weeks to respond to their acceptance email and secure their spot in the program.
Rural Health Fellows Program Costs
There is no program fee for participation in the Rural Health Fellows Program. Applicants must have a sponsor (employer, corporate or self) responsible for all travel and lodging costs to attend the three training sessions.
View the current Rural Health Fellow rosters
For more information, contact Ally Zimmerman, firstname.lastname@example.org program services coordinator, or 202-639-0550.