December 12, 2023
Training for Non-Licensed Employees (Online) – Computerized Provider Order Entry Online Training (CPOE)
Computerized provider order entry (CPOE) refers to the process of providers entering and sending treatment instructions – including medication, laboratory and radiology orders – via a computer application rather than paper, fax, or telephone.
According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, medication errors are among the most common medical errors, harming at least 1.5 million people each year. Adverse Drug Events or ADEs, account for more than 3.5 million physician office visits and 1 million ED visits annually. According to the National Library of Medicine’s article “Medication Dispensing Errors and Prevention, each year, in the United States alone, 7,000 to 9,000 people die as a result of medication error. Understanding the margin of error that can occur, hopefully we can reduce ADEs through education and training. It is believed that preventable medication errors impact more than 7 million patients and cost almost $21 billion annually across all care settings and are found to be under reported.
Non-licensed employees do not receive the same level of formal training as Registered Nurses (RNs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), or Certified Medical Assistants (CMAs). If your providers delegate prescriptions, diagnostic tests, and other clinical orders to a non-licensed member of your workforce, there can be an increased risk of an order entry error.
Quality controls help elevate the care at your healthcare organization from adequate to excellent. When patients are referred to your facility, you can promote your quality assurance programs that put a premium on patient and worker safety and optimize the effectiveness of treatment.
- Medical assistants with experience entering physician orders, typically complete the course within 10 – 12 weeks
- The course can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A qualified, certified instructor is available upon request to address questions during the training experience
- Organizations enrolling 3 or more employees at the same time will receive monthly Employee Progress Reports
- Introduction to Certified Provider Order Entry Professional
- Diagnostic Laboratory Services
- Radiology & Other Diagnostic Tests
- Introduction to Pharmacologic Principles
- Abbreviations and Systems of Measure
- Drug Classifications
- Age Related Medication Issues
Enrollees will need:
- High-speed internet access
- Access to email
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Adobe Reader
Download Information Packet
Click Here to Register Online